Super-tasty fried chicken with a crunchy twist
“This Brazilian-style fried chicken is the ultimate dish to enjoy with friends and the futebol. We’ve taken the traditional Brazilian fried chicken dish franga passarinho (which literally means ‘chicken in the style of a little bird’ because of the bite-sized pieces) and given it added crunch in the form of another well-loved Brazilian ingredient: matchstick potatoes. Best served with a beer in one hand and the remote control in the other. ”
Cooks In 50 minutes plus marinating
Difficulty: Not too tricky
- 450g skinless, boneless free-range chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 2-3 tablespoons cheiro verde , (equal quantities of chopped flat-leaf parsley and spring onion)
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 125g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons tempero baiano seasoning
- 1 100g baking potato
- vegetable oil , for deep frying
- 1 sprig of fresh flat leaf parsley
- chilli mayonnaise
- Cut the chicken into 3cm pieces, then place in a large bowl.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic, then add to the chicken along with the cheiro verde and lime juice.
- Season with a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat and leave to marinate for 20 to 30 minutes (or cover and chill for a couple of hours).
- Put the flour, baking powder and tempero baiano seasoning in a large bowl and mix well.
- Peel the potato, then finely grate it over the bowl using a mandolin. The pieces should be as fine as matchsticks. Mix the potatoes with the flour until evenly coated.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to about 180°C/350°F.
- Add the potato and flour mixture to the bowl of marinated chicken and mix well.
- Fry the chicken in batches, making sure each piece is well coated with the potato matchsticks and batter. Fry each batch for 2 to 3 minutes, then turn it over and cook until both sides are evenly browned and crisp. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Keep warm while frying the remaining chicken.
- Finely chop the parsley, and sprinkle over the chicken with a pinch of salt. Serve hot, with chilli mayonnaise on the side.